Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Enjoy Gift Bearing Strangeness

Even more than gifts that come on time or early, I love those that come late. Above is a photo I received yesterday honoring my 20th year at work commemorated on September 15 and below a creation made by my sister who is becoming gloriously more eccentric with age. It is made with fabric from drapes in the house we grew up in. I've asked her if it has a name.

UPDATE: An explanation from my sister. The "north 40" is the name for the family land and house we recently sold.

Her name is Norty II. You will find a little ID card in the back of her coat. Of course everything is symbolic. Her "heart" is my key to the North 40, a fan from one of Mama and Camille's Christmas angel projects that I found on my last walk thru of the house and the blue bead was by the side of the porch when I left the last time.
Her hair is from the roll of baling twine in the barn. Her coat is made of various fabrics from the archives. The majority of the pieces are from the living room drapes at the farm and the original drapes at the North 40.
To me the most symbolic pieces are the two urns, the three "webs" representing the three homes that now hold Mama and Daddy's treasures and on the back notice the two birds from the farm house drapes. You only see the wing of one as it flies off into the unknown and you see the other complete bird as it follows.
The day before she was completed the little butterfly appeared from somewhere and I thought it was Mama's, but later Camille said that it was hers.
This was my first opportunity to use my Dremel to drill the holes for the eye hooks in the arms and legs. Its smallest drill bit is the size of a needle.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 11:41 PM, Blogger Bobby D. said...

O Happy Belated Birthday again. I like the drapery robe the strange doll wears. Very elegant.

 
At 1:14 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Ched - It is a very representative gift of my sister --- elegant and a bit odd.

 
At 6:28 AM, Blogger JGH said...

I love this because it's the kind of thing that's almost a private joke bonding the two of you with nostalgia.

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

JGH - Yes, odd gifts are a sign of a strong bond.

 
At 2:40 PM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

I generally don't like dolls, but the one your sister made is so quirky it's totally appealing! love her accompanying note - I think you are right about your sister and I probably hitting it off....I'm quite into having symbols in whatever I make....

it's nice when gifts keep coming....I'm so glad you decided to celebrate your bd with the trip to nyc - your presence was a present to your buds!

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Mouse - I'm not a doll or even teddy bear fan but love this one. It may star in a future stop motion episode of Junk Thief TV.

I clued my sister in on your quilt blog. She took a quick peek this morning and said your links are to all of her favorite, frequently visited blogs. You may have another fan named Nanette. (Though related, she's never had "Thief" in her name.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home