Thursday, October 02, 2008

Never Put Them in the Refrigerator


For some reason, maybe obvious ones, Woody Allen came up in several conversations when I was in New York. In theory, I can no longer stand him and have held off seeing Vicky, Cristina, Barcelona, yet many of his movies -- if only for some of the great female leads and interiors -- are still very special to me.

One of my absolute favorites is the oddly obscure and hard to find at a reasonable price 1996 flick, Everyone Says I Love You. I prefer this somewhat homespun, haphazard approach to musicals where people do really seem to burst into song in real voices.

One of my favorite scenes is this one when the neighbor kids come tick-or-treating, each with a short musical number. For some reason, that wonderful looking entry and hall with the checkerboard tile floor have been in my head for a decade as what I want mine to look like. After years of enduring some hideous carpet, I plan to make that transition later this month or next. I doubt it will be ready for the neighbor kids to do the same number, but I hope next year that little Tasmin next door performs this tune with a couple of the Oaxacan boys down the street.

4 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Blogger rich bachelor said...

Yeah, dammit. Like the lady says to Woody in 'Stardust Memories', "I like your old movies, back when you were still funny."

But I don't even like those. I like Woody's movies more or less starting at 'Annie Hall' and ending at 'Deconstructing Harry'. Beyond there, he's just kind of recycling his better ideas and dragging us through his bad ones.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Rich - That's pretty much my era of his stuff, though I may stop closer to "Bullets Over Broadway". "Matchpoint" looked great and was "good" in a clinical way. Now, however, it's mainly about those interiors. I should just watch HGTV instead.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger marxsny said...

Bullets Over Broadway is kind of where I stopped as well although I liked Celebrity and Everybody Says I Love You. And as we discussed I'm disappointed with the latters availability. Hannah & Her Sisters was Woody's pinnacle for me.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Mark - Yes, Hannah was definitely the pinnacle. I used to see his films thinking of it being a window into a world of large, book filled apartments on the Upper East Side with quirky but wonderful characters I would love to know. Of course, now we know that Woody was in the bathroom doing something inappropriate with an under-aged step-daughter. Yuck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home