Saturday, October 04, 2008

COSTCO-Prozac-Almost-Haiku


Went to COSTCO today to buy doggie Prozac
That I still can't bring myself to give him
It's exactly the same as the kind for humans
Which I could take instead.

When I filled out the form,
I was told to list him as a dependent.
The pharmacist was fussy when I returned
And gave my name not his.

Then she said the name Guru
Wistfully as if to sooth an otherwise tense Saturday.

Since I was there...
...I renewed my membership
That I share with my ex...

...six years gone and counting,
But both of our names are still on the account
And he calls me almost daily

But he bailed on his weekend dog duty this afternoon
Due to some murky new crisis
That he'll explain when we talk, you know, real soon

For now the dog is utterly calm, embracing
His high end chew toy from the
Wag Hotel where a dog room costs more per night than
The hotels where I'll stay in Portland next week

In a couple of hours, he'll rest his head on my stomach
Trusting and uninterrupted for nine hours
Allowing me to interpret his intent without explanation
In the glow of early morning light
I can embrace it for that which has been denied me
By so many humans, forever racing after something Far more frivolous than a chew toy
If I lavish too much love in this moment on a sleepy Basenji
I take comfort knowing that there is only a
Basenji to receive it and no human to critique it.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 8:48 AM, Blogger Aunty Christ said...

Oh! Beautiful.

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Aunty - Thanks. Hope to see you in Portland...er, I mean Saskatoon.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

what a poetic post....

nine uninterupted hours, can guru sleep! I've been sleeping quite well these last few days at em's on a futon on the floor without my three cats jumping on and off of me all night long.... although I do miss them....cats and dogs must have different sleep habits and dixie (em's dog) is spending a week at her brothers house.... until her bounciness isn't apt to cause pain or injury!

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Mouse - Guru could sleep 12 hours straight if I let him. For all the aggression related stress he brings, sleeping is dramatically different than my cat Bunter who, even at 19, would come in and out of the bed, stomp over me a few times and then settle on me in the most uncomfortable spot. Guru just hops in, curls into his crescent position and moves maybe one small bit all night.

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Bobby D. said...

doggie prozac... great visual and prose.

my cats slept through the night until the extremely energetic kitten arrived. Actually each kitten brought sleep disturbances, but night sleeping always resumed when the kitten eventually turned into a cat.


I have a costco 1 year membership card ( a gift) but still haven't ventured in to "activate" it. I have never been inside a costco before.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Ched - I have mixed feelings about COSTCO, but they do treat employees fairly well for a big box store. I tend to steer away from the their food in bulk items, but they are a great place for discount prescriptions and discounts at the Wag Hotel.

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

0

 

Post a Comment

<< Home