Sunday, October 05, 2008

Stoned in the Back Garden

One thing that has long kept me from wanting to move from my little Mission District tenement is the small but beloved garden that I can spy from the dining room back window and has been a part of my morning and evening routine for years. A range of perrenials and annuals come and go, and I take solace in what I sometimes call the "River 101", the freeway just three blocks away, that can sound like a mighty river that is grounding and a reminder that nature and urbanity merging together can give me peace.

The memorial stones for my cats are there, and now letting Guru out in the garden is a part of my daily routine, allowing me no guilt to take time to pull weeds midday or catch up on recreational reading as he answers the call of nature.

Lately I have also come to take greater comfort in this garden stone that was given to me by my mother on the third to last Christmas she was alive, 2001, with its wisdom of "Out of crisis comes opportunity". These words would prove to be far more prophetic over the seven years that would follow, and there were so many people I could blame -- disappointing exes, an inept President, a few inept bosses and most of all, myself.

Yet, the stone has remained, sometimes nagging and other time reassuring. Tonight, as I looked at it, it seemed to have different meanings that I can't quite pinpoint. I just hope the opportunities are larger than the crises ahead.

Of course, W______ and I had a gorgeous garden in Park Slope. And I’m sure that I could find one in the right spot in NoLiTa or Chelsea Park…

…not that I am absolutely moving there…

…but I’m just saying. And shouldn’t Guru have his first visit to Central Park and the Met?

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Blogger Salty Miss Jill said...

Yes, yes he should. Plus, both he and his foster dad have so many fans here on the east coast. :)

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joy - If nothing else I should bring Guru for visit to meet everyone and see some shows and museums.

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Joy Keaton said...

You know Basil the aloof seems to be a magnet for dogs who are fearful or seemingly aggressive (I think all aggressive dogs are actually just scared myself) so he (and you! lol) are welcome to come on back any ol' time.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Joy Keaton said...

that wasn't clear... what I mean by 'magnet' is those dogs who don't like any other dogs seem to love Basil. :)

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

hmmmmmmm.....

best of luck in pondering all these issues....and reaching what will be...or at least will be for a while!

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joy - I feel so fickle that this week I could just as easily move to the Pacific Northwest and hang out at sidewalk cafes with Guru. Or better yet in sunny Barcelona discussing philosophy over cafe solas with handsome Catalan gentlemen.

Mouse - As I told Joy, sometimes my passions seem to change with the whim of the wind. But I am still very much a Mid-Atlantic and Mediterranean drawn sort of guy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home