Friday, October 03, 2008

40 Years of New York

There has been much analysis of all that happened in the world 40 years ago, perhaps most effectively in Mark Kurlansky's fantastic 1968 that gives a 360 degree world view that happened that year. Many Gen X and Y members complain that Baby Boomers overestimate the importance of their age of youth, and that's probably an accurate critique.

However, I was excited to get the 40th anniversary issue of New York magazine in the mail today. Many complain about its influence on other publications with short, pithy articles. But it's one magazine that I've subscribed to for 36 of its 40 years. There are some great little tidbits in it such as Whatever happened to Marla Maples and where was Lou Reed's first apartment. Information we all need to know.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 7:02 AM, Blogger Steve Reed said...

I don't read New York enough, actually. I always love it when I pick it up, but I subscribe to The New Yorker, and even though they're totally different I'm not sure I can handle both!

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Steve - I have subscribed to The New Yorker with only a couple of brief pauses since I was 12. I read about 40-50% of the articles in The New Yorker and about 70-80% in New York. The fact that I subscribe to no West Coast magazines probably says a lot about me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home