Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Cocteau, Mormons and Crashing Ceilings

Weren't people dancing in the streets of the Castro and on Valencia barely a week ago? Did the honeymoon last 12 hours of 24? Or did Proposition 8 cancel out all of it?

I try to read Angels in America again every couple of years or cheat and watch part of the DVD as I have done tonight and try not to think too much about my friend Franz collapsing in the lobby of the Walter Kerr in May of 1993 as he kept repeating "Don't worry, you're moving to California just like the characters in the dream sequence." I've never been a Mormon but had an unsettlingly polite house mate and a number of second and third cousins who have been. There always seemed to be something sinister lurking beneath the calm waters.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 7:21 AM, Blogger J. David Zacko-Smith said...

Ugh . . . "Angels in America" . . . brilliant stuff!

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

JDZS - I hope Tony Kushner runs for public office some day.

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger rich bachelor said...

Well, as the lady of the house often recounts, those Mormon boys, given half a minute, will commence to bragging about having sex with their sisters.

I haven't encountered that one, but I have to say that I've rarely seen so many of what certainly looks like closet cases in a single denomination.

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Rich - I guess even Mormons aren't without their positives. They tend to be quiet, polite and very clean.

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger Joe said...

For almost 24 hrs I've been trying to figure out what Cocteau has to do with this....

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger Ladrón de Basura (a.k.a. Junk Thief) said...

Joe - You've been checking this entry for the past 24 hours? Oh, my dear boy, I'm worried about you.

Okay, the reference is Harper Pitt's early dream sequence which recreates Cocteau's "Beauty in the Beast" with the arms in the walls holding lamps, etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home